PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class I - Limitation Requiring Ophthalmological Assessment
Old 8th Jan 2024, 17:34
BoeingBoy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't help with that particular medical issue but I've been wearing glasses since I was twelve and flew my entire career wearing either contacts or specs. My contact prescription is +5.5 and I'd have a hard job finding the aircraft let alone flying it I didn't have any correction.

To answer your question about employability I wouldn't worry too much. Either with or without glasses you will be as suitable as the next candidate. The restriction is printed in the top right corner of your medical in code form. Mine is 'VDL. Valid only with correction for defective distant vision'. In layman's terms I can wear contacts with a spare pair of glasses as back up. There are thousands of pilots with similar restrictions.

If you wanted an opinion of what is preferable, then having the words 'Requires assessment by an ophthalmologist' is probably going to attract the attention of an airline assessor. A simple site code won't. Perhaps going with the glasses for now is preferable until you're settled into a job.

The full EASA medical requirements are here for future reference: EASA Medical Standards