PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2024, 14:39
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Geri

Thank you for your messages.

i don't think I'll be giving too much away by the following.

Ron was living in Shaftesbury when we met - he is not listed in BT Directory Enquiries now. Further ferreting around reveals that Bell St. Gallery has been renamed Ron Homes Gallery which suggests that is in memory of him. I believe he completed a full tour of ops on 101 followed by a posting to 238 Sqn flying the Dak. Jefford's RAF Sqns ( I've met him too at the RAF Historical Society's Hercules event at Filton in 2019 ) has 238 reforming at Merryfield ( near Taunton ) on 1.12.44 then deploying in Feb '45 to Raipur, then Comilla then to Parafield in Oz before disbanding on 27.12.45. I guess they routed via Hong Kong as I have a painting by Ron of a Sunderland overflying shipping vessels in the harbour.

I think Ron worked in industrial design after demob'. He hadn't flown for years until a chum took him up in a light aircraft from Compton Abbas - he and his Lancaster crew stayed in touch for the rest of their lives.

Finally an amusing story - Anne and I called in to see an exhibition of work by another artist and we spotted Ron looking around the other end of the studio. We said to Nick the artist, do you know Ron? He's an artist too. Yes he replied 'He is my ex-Father-in-Law'!