PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 8th Jan 2024, 13:47
Timmy Tomkins

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Before you all get too wrapped up in your anti-Boeing crusade, you might want to consider this little inconvenient fact: The fuselage isn't built by Boeing - all 737 fuselages are assembled in Wichita by Spirit AeroSystems. The fuselages are shipped to Renton by rail as basically complete structures with the plug (or door) already installed. Assuming that this was an assembly issue (as seems likely based on the lack of associated damage from the departed plug, as well as the AD'ed inspection), the blame should fall squarely on Spriit, not Boeing.
While Spirit was "Boeing Wichita" at one time, that hasn't been the case for nearly 20 years (Boeing sold them in 2005) and it has operated as an independent subcontractor since. Spirit is also a major supplier to Airbus.
While an alert inspector at Boeing might have picked up on missing fasteners, given that fuselage portion arrives as a compete, approved assembly, it is very unlikely that there is any task at Boeing Renton to verify that the appropriate fasteners are installed on that door plug.
Unfortunately, QA at Spirit has been an on-going issue for some time - especially with the 737 fuselages (the often-mentioned issue with the miss-drilled aft bulkhead holes also traces back to Spirit.
Interestingly, there was an article in the Seattle Times recently regarding Boeing and Spirit re-negotiating the contract for the 737 fuselages to include improved quality and QA inspections (presumably with an increase in price to Boeing, although I don't think the article specifically said that).

While I doubt it's feasible at this point for Boeing to bring in a new subcontractor for the 737 fuselage, I think Spirit badly needs to step up their game if they expect to receive any future new business (Boeing, Airbus, or anyone else). No airframer wants to be associated with the sort of liability (not to mention bad press) that the recent Spirit screwups have caused Boeing.
"On a Wing and a Prayer" by Al Jazeera covered exactly this issue.