PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 8th Jan 2024, 11:14
C2H5OH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flynerd
Here is what I see from an engineering viewpoint.
The first image shows the stub guide location and due to its length, guides the door up and out. This would be how it functions when the extra exit door is installed.

Where the stub guide would be

In the second photo taken from the incident aircraft, we can see the stub guide indicated by the red arrow,. The blue arrow shows it has a threaded hole in it and that is where we would expect to see a locking bolt for when a permanent plug door is in place.

Shows the stub guide in place on incident aircraft

The third image shows where and how I would see the locking bolt in situ if it were ever installed.

shown with locking bolt
To me it seems the locking bolts were never installed.
That's what I thought when I first saw that axial bore. I further thought, that the bolt may slide into that fitting by installing a tool and pulling towards the center of the plug. However this is not compatible with the infos given by the 737 tech channel.
As said before this stub of the roller pin is rather short. I wonder if it is still blocked if wrong diameter locking bolts are used.