PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2024, 20:47
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ron Homes

Hi Geri, Chugalug and all - A very happy new year!

I've only just noticed that my favourite thread is active again and with the story of someone I had the pleasure of meeting a few times, Ron Homes.

About 2000 my wife and I were in one of our small local towns, Shaftesbury in Dorset. We walked past Bell Street Gallery and noticed there was an art exhibition there. My wife is a keen and good amateur artist and had exhibited there herself on several occasions. Slight drift - one person who bought one of her paintings was Sir Peter Harding former CAS and CDS who also lived locally - drift over. The artist exhibiting was Ron Homes - most of his work was of local scenes/subjects, but I noticed that there were several aviation paintings, which of course I was drawn to. One in particular caught my eye, a Dakota landing in what appeared to be a jungle strip. I said to Anne I bet that was Burma. Anyway off we went home. My birthday was coming up and Anne thought that painting would make a good present for me. She rang the gallery to be told the exhibition was over but was given the artist's home number. She rang and Ron said he still had that painting and gave her his address in Shaftesbury so that we could call and buy the painting. He was an extremely pleasant guy, showed us his aviation work including ' A night to remember'. I'll stop my tale here for the moment as I don't want to spoil the rest of Geri's story for everyone.
I look forward to reading the remainder of 'Night to remember'.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian 48nav: