PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 7th Jan 2024, 20:42
DaveReidUK

Received 219 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by ThreeIfByAir
If I could post photos I would, but look at the post immediately below yours and compare with the photos upthread of correctly-fitted plugs _and_ doors. In both cases the frame of the door or plug is secured to the aircraft with what appear to be twelve bolts/large screws installed from the inside. These match with fairly sturdy protrusions from the fuselage and (to the untrained eye) are pretty hefty mechanisms for holding the plug (or the door frame) in place.

In the picture of the accident aircraft, you can see the four top protrusions from the fuselage (they're pretty obvious) and they appear to have metal in them where the bolts would be. But the frame is completely absent, along with the first parts of those screws/bolts, leaving the rest attached to the fuselage.

It's entirely possible I'm missing something, please (and I'm serious) tell me why I'm wrong.
Those "twelve sturdy protrusions" are the stops that prevent the door being blown out of the aircraft.

If they were bolts through them, nobody would have to worry about the door opening, ever.

I'm pretty sure that's been covered before, more than once.