PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rothmans Aerobatic Team (& Others)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2004, 16:37
Tim Mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been out of touch lately, jolly hols and more computer trouble, so have only just caught up with matters Pprune. From my 1974 Rothmans programme, Thread the Needle was then called Swiss Roll. From the description the manoeuvres sound the same, except the leader ended up inverted. Can't be specific from personal experience, memory fading, and I never did any of the clever bits, only hung on grimly.
What I wanted to ask G-KEST was whether they did a proper box 4 slow roll in the Stampes, or if it was only possible with the greater power, and possibly more precise control response, with the Pitts. As No3, and the roll always being to the left, I have never really managed to figure out what I was doing in terms of control. Just as well perhaps! A sort of very tight negative G barrel roll, I think, and couldn't do it without someone to formate on I'm sure. I do remember thinking that the Old Warden boundary fence was looking a bit close as Manx rolled towards me during one of my early shows with the team. I think I only concentrated on the leader from then on! Halcyon Days indeed.