PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic pilots consider strike over fatigue
Old 7th Jan 2024, 08:50
Gordomac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Virgin Atlantic pilots consider strike over fatigue

JG1. Agreed, totally.

Those who write the rules should then give it a try themselves. Assumes pilots write the rules. Often, not the case.

Complicity is a factor too. Wasn't long ago (Coovid crisis) chaps were "in order to put food on the table" accepting situations where they Dead Headed into a field and immediately operated out (!). Several claimed, on Pprune too, that the "crew rest facilities" in modern times were excellent and even enjoyable. Nothing wrong with boarding straight into your bunk nest and going to sleep immediately and then, some 10 hours later jumping into the hot seat and operating 10 hours back.

I also found the notion of extending operating hours because of a "relief" pilot to never be fully understood, Particularly by the pilot rostered as the "relief Pilot".. I was given the trial ops in a pretty classy carrier of operating AMS-Somewhere on West African Coast-AMS. Both First Officer thought all three of us should just share the flying three ways, there and back. Oh bless..

My report on return was that it could be done but I would not recommend it. I asked the Fleet Manager who authorised the OP to try it himself. I was shown the door with a "Ghoodah Morgan !",