PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airways Cymru International
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2024, 08:17
GYMRU111

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hi everyone.

This is a great thread.

I flew on G-YMRU in Aug 1984 from CWL-TFS, complete in its still ex Quebecair livery! I didn’t have a clue who the airline was until I flew with them and we managed to make it non stop in both directions. From then on I always had a soft spot over the years for CYM and so threads like this are great. Over the years I have also managed to collect from memorabilia, including an inflight magazine which is my pride and joy! ☺️

Living close to CWL I would get my father to take me to the airport, mostly on a Sunday and I would often see CYM, quite regularly delayed! They would always park ‘round the back’ at CWL and I can even remember their 3 check in desks painted in a different colour to the others, think it was red or blue!

The airline was owned by Red Dragon Travel based in Cardiff and during my career I even worked with someone who worked for that company, admittedly not at the time CYM was operating, but she did share stories about CYM and later DMD.

As time has gone on it’s been great to read so much about the airline. Interesting to read that 1988 could have been a good year for the airline with it looking to diversity into its next phase and gain an expanded contact with Thomson Holidays. There was a local programme called ‘Wales This Week’ which went out in Jan/Feb 1988 when the airline collapsed and detailed a lot about the airline. I remember recording it on my VHS tape but that is long gone and I wish I could find that episode as it was really interesting from that I can remember.

I have the old Airport Timetables UK from that era which feature CYM and it’s amazing how many positioning flights they used to operate!

It is always great to hear all the tales about this airline and it appears that although they would appear to do everything in a shoestring, it had friendly staff who enjoyed working for the airline.

Thanks for a great trip down memory lane…..
The following 3 users liked this post by GYMRU111: