PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2004, 07:58
cabin secure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't resist posting now!

Emirates operates out of Dubai therefore working conditions vary greatly from those in Australia.

Australian law dictates that our working environment has occupational health and safety rules.
Our unions ensure adequate rest periods and other conditions for us.
Emirates crews aren't afforded these luxuries.
I also have friends at Emirates.
Their experiences have been disappointing, however you need to take into account they have previous experience in the industry. When you have known no better, it is easier to be accepting of your working conditions.
Emirates crew work very long hours with often minimum rest periods. There isn't any crew rest area on their aircraft, so crew operate long sectors without adequate rest.
With the ever increasing value of the Australian dollar, the wages are no longer as attractive as they once were. ( The crew are paid in local currency). I believe it is now around A$28 000 pa. Plus allowances.
When you take into account the housing benefits, you will be on similar money if you stay and work in Australia.
Life in Dubai is also tough.
You really need to make an effort to branch out and find other interests.

Emirates is a world class airline, there is no disputing that.
But you will burn out quickly.
As in any shift working position you need to eat well and get adequate sleep and exercise.

Anyone applying to EK, don't let my post influence you. It has always been my experience, that if you have no expectations, then you will not be disappointed.
Life is a journey.
I have flown both internationally and on exchange overseas with an American airline, as well as domestically, and regionally within Australia.
I would not change a thing, given the opportunity to do so.
You'll get to meet interesting people wherever you go. And

that's why we love it!
That's why we do it!

Last edited by cabin secure; 25th Jan 2004 at 15:24.