PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL incident at Haneda Airport
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 10:55
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by framer
All of the Airlines I have worked at have an SOP that strobes go on entering the runway, even if you are just crossing so I don’t think the SOP of turning them on when starting the take off roll is the most common method of managing the strobes. Am I wrong?
On a different note, I know that personally having stop bars u/s at a place where there is normally stop bars is a huge threat for runway incursion. If I see that NOTAM I make special mention of it in the take-off brief and encourage the f/o to remind me as we approach the runway. Other people probably aren’t effected in the same way but I know it’s a threat for me.
I’ve seen a variation in ‘strobes on’. Most are on when entering the active runway, but some activate on actual t/o clearance. In the videos so far, there doesn’t appear to be stationary, visible strobes in the sequence for the coastguard, or as it taxis into position. If that’s correct then the twr controller whom is 2km away doesn’t get a visual clue, neither does JAL. From what we know neither ATC/JAL are aware of the DH8 on the runway and haven’t got ‘prompts’ in the transmissions to cross check where it is. Are unserviceable white strobes an MEL no go departure item?

I think the unserviceable aerodrome lighting is going to be a key player here. If stopbars are inoperative how does that affect the runway environment alerting systems? Presumably when a working stop bar is deselected, (turned off), alerts are muted or withdrawn as ATC has positively authorised runway entry. Stop bars normally have an auto on function eg 1minute and then automatically returns to red (on). So if maintenance or failure requires the stop bars to be switched off for extended periods, what happens to the alert systems for the unserviceable section of lighting? Are they simultaneously unserviceable as well?