PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL incident at Haneda Airport
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2024, 15:30
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Duck
If you're going to be unusually slow in getting onto the runway for departure, might you want to check that the approach is clear before actually moving? Whilst the Dash was on the taxiway the A350 was approaching on the Dash captain's opposite side. I'm not going to suggest that the FO didn't look but I do wonder why an aircraft lit up like a Christmas tree on short finals wasn't spotted.

Or was the Dash already on the runway and lined up, but for some reason had not yet commenced takeoff? What is not clear to me in all the info so far released is in which direction the Dash was facing. Was it pointing across, or down the runway?

Remarks above concerning the visibility of aircraft on runways at night are pertinent, especially if the Dash had lined up.
I find it quite hard to spot aircraft on the runway, especially small ones, when on approach at night to large airports. There are so many lights of varying colours that aircraft ones can get lost in the clutter, more so if the runway itself has the full gamut of lighting at high intensity. This is even more true when the aircraft on the runway is stationary, so there are no motion cues, and their main lights are projecting away from you.

Judging by the damage to the nose of the A350, the -8 must have been either lined up or had crossed the centreline during the line up process, but that’s about all you can say at the moment. Amazing that it was completely survivable, except for the crew of the smaller aircraft, unfortunately.