PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Landing Accident.
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2023, 13:32
RichardJones

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Discorde
It's perhaps surprising that swept wings with podded engines have been with us for more than six decades and yet no definitive procedure has been developed for landing in strong crosswinds. With increasing incidence of violent weather and low availability of crosswind runways the difficulties might worsen in the future.
Indeed. Couldn't agree more

The ideal lateral position of the wings at touch down, should be into wind wing down, or slightly down. Even level, if that's how it turns out.

The pod strikes, in first generation 4, underslung engined heavy jets, often occurred when crosswinds are involved. Usually when the into wind wing is allowed to lift beyond level. If the procedure you use is correct, the A/c will be slipping into wind. No drift at touch down. Therefore the into wind wing will be lower.
We must be aware of the consequences of a heavy landing, with the wing down. The a/c will tend to rock or roll and leave the aircraft in a lateral position which is not ideal.
Stick to the basics that you were taught (if) during abinino training.

Whatever is done, make sure the rudder pedals are not juggled or pedalled like pedal car. Increase the rudder (lee wind) inputs gradually.

One may ask, when do you start crossing the controls? I crossed them gradually. Depending on the width and surface conditions. It is not ideal waiting to kick off the drift at the last moment then finding yourself not lined up and off the centre line..On occasion I have started crossing the controls as high as 500' AGL, or more. Need to be lined up and maintain it throughout the landing roll.
I was taught by a Master on a B707.

"When you can touch down, at max demonstrated crosswind for the aircraft type, on the centre line, the aircraft heading and track the same as the runway direction and maintain. Do that, you can land crosswind. This is what we aim to do right? Well if it can't be done, then it could be argued the handling pilot does not have full control of the aircraft. Or do we? Juggle the rudder, you are inviting trouble"

Last edited by RichardJones; 4th Jan 2024 at 19:08.