PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citadel of Waste by David Hill
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2023, 09:48
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DogTailRed2
Is this a series of books best read in sequence? Are they available on Audible?
Good question.

A Noble Anger is in many ways a sequel to Red 5. They stand alone, but having read Red 5 you'll then appreciate the scale of recurrence.

Their Greatest Disgrace is about the campaign to clear the ZD576 pilots, An Inconvenient Truth about the cause of the accident. There's obviously a little overlap, but while the former discusses evidence that was well-known but ignored, the latter discusses evidence that was concealed, and its existence even denied by MoD. The main submission to the Mull of Kintyre Review is available as a free pdf download.

Breaking the Military Covenant stands alone, and takes the Sea King ASaC mid-air of 2003 as its main case study; plus a range of shorter studies illustrating common failures. (Nimrod XV230, Hercules XV179, Chinook ZA721, etc).

Sorry, not available in audio versions. You may be interested though in Dr Susan Phoenix's best-seller 'Policing the Shadows', just re-published as an audio book and narrated by herself and her son Niven, a former RAF C-17 pilot. She lost her husband Det Supt Ian Phoenix, RUC Special Branch (LATE Parachute Regt), in the ZD576 accident. I know it took her the best part of 2 years to plan and execute the audio version, and it's time consuming and expensive if you have to engage an audio engineer. Especially relevant when all royalties go to charity. Writing a book is just time. An audio version needs a Service pension, not a civil service one!

PM if you want Kindle or pdf e-mailed to you. It's then up to you to donate online to the charity. My choice is a hospice, but some here prefer (e.g.) Help for Heroes or an Air Ambulance, which is fine by me.

Edit... I think most of the books would be impossible to transfer to audio because they frequently refer to images. Red 5 would be utterly impossible, even if the listener were intimately familiar with ejection seat design. (You need to SEE the scale of the over-tightening of the drogue nut, and SEE the video evidence that MoD had been provided with the information it denied having. Only then can you appreciate the perjury). Citadel of Waste is the only one that doesn't have, or need, images. I was reminded that Dr Phoenix had this problem and had to re-write sections.

Last edited by tucumseh; 31st Dec 2023 at 11:50.
The following users liked this post: