PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-10
Thread: Luton-10
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2023, 22:35
pabely

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
Wizzair have been flying Luton to Amman for about a year now - the continuation of flights suggests it's working for them.
I'm wondering why they don't resume Kutaisi or start Yerevan which are a similiar distance from Luton as Amman, particularly as the UK has no nonstop link to either Georgia or Armenia.
Do these routes both need subsidy money or is there another story behind this ?
Armenian-registered airlines seem likely to all stay on the EU forbidden list for at least the next 12 months... and with Turkey and Azerbaijan as neighbours, air routes are critical to the country. Seems an ideal opportunity for Wizzair to do a land grab of market share of Europe-Armenia routes while potential competitors are stuck in "jail"
I'm sure both are on the Wizzair radar but current engine issues are holding things back, on paper WUK have plenty of aircraft but only recently they had to charter in Titan aircraft to cover Luton shedules. Then their is the question of slot availability, it doesn't look like Luton is going to get the green light for 19m next year but with a likely pax limit again, from the UK Gov, 2025 could be a likely expansion phase again. I suspect AMM & IST will go x2 daily as well, IST maybe more. Wizzair are used to x4 daily on some of their trunk routes and that is with a good deal of competition in Essex.