PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Max: Loose Rudder-Control Fastener Issue.
Old 30th Dec 2023, 17:17
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute TSRA!

Some good points, especially about not being advised of a potential or worse, a known fault. I would have been angry too.

I agree about media overkill on the type plane, however, we had the rudder actuator problem years ago and then the new problem with max. So my gut tells me that management got in the way of the procedures used for decades when a tech order action went out or we at least got a heads up on a potential problem.

That memo you got was scary - loss of rudder seems harsh, and seems the plane had some kinda redundancy, huh?. OTOH, that problem I faced was not supposed to happen because there was supposedly asymmetric flap brakes to stop one of the things if it got more than a few degrees from the other. But nope, and only reason I manually turned off the auto flap system was to keep the other one from doing something wierd. The design measured flap position at one place and it was upstream of the connection of one tube/rod to another. After all, the two were connected with a very good spline and it had a "keeper bolt" that prevented one component from sliding away from the other. Easy fix and have not heard of another problem since back then. Plus, emphasis upon a second mechanic checking first one as another old fart has just stated. And I don't know any of we single seat guys that don't not put our hand on the grear lever many times before landing, even if we are in the family model.

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 30th Dec 2023 at 17:54. Reason: typo