PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Max: Loose Rudder-Control Fastener Issue.
Old 30th Dec 2023, 16:41
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try "how soon" they can be completed on all relevant aircraft?
The recommended compliance date is 10 January 2024.

The media is playing the 'Max bad, Max evil' narrative again. Since the MOM was published, the original operator has inspected the remaining 110+ aircraft in its fleet with zero findings, my airline has inspected 17 of our Max-8s (half the Max fleet) with zero findings, and this very washer and nut combination is checked as a component of every C-Check, meaning the vast majority of flying aircraft will have already had this checked as part of routine maintenance and this is just the normal 'out of abundance of caution' that we've been used to. I'd also point out, from the memo we got: "The rudder will no longer respond to pilot pedal inputs and will center relative to the current rudder trim neutral position. Rudder trim control and yaw damping will be available and function normally. Pilot response to this failure includes executing the Jammed or Restricted Flight Controls NNC." So bad that the rudder won't respond, but good that we already have an existing and well-trained (at my spot) NNC. Granted, I'd hope that if this were to happen, I hope the wind is right down the pipe or nil and that it doesn't decide to separate at VR.

I'm not suggesting that a missing nut and washer are not problematic and that we should not be concerned as pilots when manufacturing defects are found. Quite the opposite. Our professionalism should have us looking closely at the issue and thinking aloud what our actions would be should we encounter the fault. This is why I am angry about the MCAS issue - we were not advised of the potential for the fault and, by extension, could not talk about what our actions would be, despite there being an existing NNC. But the media running to the hills screaming every time a Max MOM or AD is put out is getting a little old, especially when procedures exist that help us control the potential fault. Save for two horrific flights, it has an otherwise seemingly impeccable safety record (knocking on wood right now).