PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - range of autos
Thread: range of autos
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2023, 14:38
SASless

Received 520 Likes on 217 Posts
There is more than one way to skin a Cat....and each technique offered has to be considered in full context that includes the particular aircraft.....and the kind of rotor system they have, airspeeds, rotor RPM ranges, wind, terrain, weather, lighting (natural, man made) loading of the aircraft, whether a sling load is involved and what kind (jesttisonable or not), and lastly.....some luck.

What is beneficial with a discussion as being had here is one can store away the useful bits and maybe one day down the line it will come back to you in a flash when needed.

An example.....during a Bell 205 Check Ride the Check Pilot talked about landing in trees....when there was no doubt one was going to land in the trees....and there was no other option available......and it paid off in spades later on while flying a Huges 500D in Alaska many years later.

Right at dusk I departed a mountain top near Tok, Alaska with two passengers and some internal cargo.

Upon lifting to a hover.....I noticed an unusual sound that was new but not ominous sounding.....stayed at a hover for a moment longer than normal....carefully noticed the instrument readings...varied power and moved the flight controls about a bit....all looked and felt good....and away we went.....and after a bout a minute or so and now about 9,000 feet AGL....I put the Collective down and there was a bit bang and the engine mostly quit working.....it was still running but the needles had split and would not re-engage. That is entirely too high for such things to happen....as it allows for way too much thinking.

On the way down I was seriously looking for a nice parking place and did a couple of turns looking behind as well as in front as there were no spots of any kind that stood out. Looking back towards the mountain was a problem because of the Sun angle.....so it was back to looking away from the mountain and towards the nearest road about ten miles away.

Trees....lots of trees....with big patches of Alder Thickets ....and no clearings. Decision made....I would go for the best looking area of Alder and look for the lowest bunch and hope there were no hidden tree stumps from earlier logging in the area.

The advice had been....arrive at the bottom with the maximum Rotor RPM possible....which in the Hughes a very hard flare would generate.....followed by leveling the aircraft and settle into the tree tops using up all of the rotor RPM possible before you hit something big and sturdy.

Also...the advice said absent a good choice of spot....wait till the last moment and pick the best of what presented itself.

As I got to that point I realized there was one small stand of tall trees between me and a pretty nice place to park on top of some very small Alders.....and knowing my aircraft I knew with certainty I could pop up and over those trees.

I did....and as I cleared the trees and leveled the nose I was right over that very small spot.....luck plays a huge role in success sometimes.

Landing made...no damage to the aircraft....over night walk through the forest to the paved road....and a pickup by members of our operation looking for us along the road.

You have to know the aircraft you are flying and how it performs in autorotation.....not think you know.....but know from experience and that requires doing it.

I was fortunate as in my US Army training we did lots and lots and lots of touch down autorotations and tail rotor failure practice.

Today....I will accept that doing power recoveries and foregoing touchdowns might be the preferred compromise as if your approach is good the landing will probably be good as well....and fewer machines get bent or broken in training.

The following 3 users liked this post by SASless: