PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - range of autos
Thread: range of autos
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2023, 11:25
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 436 Likes on 230 Posts
During my basic RW course (Whirlwind 10) I was taught CA EOLs as per Crab’s description, by the late Ned Sparks. The technique worked very well and I got fairly good at it, no big deal. I then temporarily had to fly one with a rather nervous instructor who twitched and bo££ocked me even though I just smoothed it on in one go. His method was to take progressive “bites” on the collective. I had to relearn his technique, which was untidy and usually resulted in a harder, less controlled landing. But at least he was happy.

I was then put back with Ned. He asked me to fly a CA EOL; I used the later technique and he couldn’t believe what I’d been taught. He made me do another, using his “one pull” method. Unfortunately my muscle memory kicked in and I took a bite. So we did yet another….I still couldn’t remember to do it in one pull, and did similar. In desperation he told me to do one more and not to pull on the collective until he said. All went well until he forgot to say! Just as the Whirlwind touched the grass, I pulled and caught it very nicely on the rebound! We ricocheted up to what was probably 75 feet, with rapidly decreasing RRPM. Thankfully a quick dose of “forward and down” saved the day and we landed without any damage to the aircraft whatsoever, courtesy of the long stroke undercarriage. Ned had the good grace to admit it was his fault! I doubt I’d have got away with it in many other types.
The following 2 users liked this post by ShyTorque: