PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel & Aerobatic training
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2023, 10:26
roundsounds

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kundry
Curtis Aviation - not had much luck with them, uptight mob, not really flexible. In my mind, the Citabria is an uninspiring machine to do a TW endorsement in. You will definitely earn yourself a proper sign off in one though - you can't see over the cowling on the ground and the rudder control in the air to stay coordinated is a bit of a challenge.

Wings out West (Dubbo) - Easy going very nice bloke runs this school. He will take care of your training, unlike factories in the cities. Does ab-initio in Cubs! The machines are fun to fly and the home strip is fun. Machines regoed RAAUS so need to do a GA conversion after he signs you off though. The cubs have heel brakes and require S-turns to see over the cowling, other than that, very simple machines to fly that won't get you into much trouble. I fit into it like a glove and found it the most fun TW type I've flown so far.

Advanced Aviation Training (Redcliffe) - RV6 rents out dual relatively cheap and is fun to fly. Bit squirrely on the ground and a responsive machine in the air. Will definitely give you a well earned TW rating. The mob there are congenial, agreeable people.

One thing that might make the jump from a Citabria to a Pitts hard is the open cockpit (if you're in a model with one). Also the massive amounts of left turning tendencies when taking off. Also the slip needed when landing to see the runway.
There’s very little difference between a Cub and Citabria in terms of forward vision and aileron / rudder coordination. Dan now operates a Citabria, so can also complete GA TW certification.