PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citadel of Waste by David Hill
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2023, 10:07
dervish

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I read it in one go. I never thought the subject could be such a rollercoaster. A tragedy, comedy and farce all in one.
The middle section is a breakdown of MoD’s procedures on how to avoid waste. The presentation is genius, and you’re left wondering at so much waste when there’s easily followed procedures to prevent it. The numbers are eye-watering.
The last section looks at what the author calls “big-ticket” failures. I didn’t know that one of the senior officers praised by Hadden-Cave had been in charge of MR4 and then airworthiness. Chinook Mk3 is a revelation. Little details that make you think WTF? Gliders is an excellent section, co-written with a retired engineering officer. MFTS is topical. I was left in no doubt all these could have been avoided as examples are given of other projects avoiding the same pitfalls at the same time. And some of the anecdotes are hilarious and outrageous. As a pongo I especially remember the rectal thermometer event, but had no idea it was a young civvy who asked a Brigadier if he wanted a selection of sizes according to personal taste. Classic. The book’s worth it for that one paragraph.
Finally, the suggestion he makes for an exam question to be given to all DEC and project staff. Intriguing, and it would be interesting to hear peoples answers. I wouldn’t know where to begin, and I doubt few would. I’ll read it again as the clues are probably in the book.

This should open a few eyes. £2.99 to charity. Bloody well done.

The following 3 users liked this post by dervish: