PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 Engine ferry flights with piston/ turboprop aircraft ?
Old 30th Dec 2023, 09:35
BSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew the CL44 with Transmeridian. In the 1000 or so hours I flew it, t flew 4 engine out ferries. Kano to Stansted, Taif to Stansted, Mineralnye Vody to Karachi and Lubumbashi to Kinshasa.

On our six monthly checks (always on the aeroplane, no simulator) the Captain’s check always involved a 3 engine take-off.

I seem to recall it went like this: the rudder trim was pre-set 2/3rds towards the “good” side, the aileron trim 1/3rd. To start the task-off, the F/E would wind up the “matched pair” to full power, then when he was satisfied, the Captain (always a Captain’s take-off) released the parking brake and opened up the 3rd throttle, increasing power carefully so as not to lose directional control.

I can’t remember what we did for V speeds or how we thought about the further loss of an engine, en-route terrain clearance etc, but I do recall the max take-off weight was 165000 lbs - coincidentally the max landing weight. The crosswind limit was also reduced. Other stuff: operating crew only, no revenue freight etc.

At that weight, some 50,000 lbs below max all up weight, the old thing flew pretty well. In fact, as you were down around 20% on fuel flow and only 10% down on true airspeed, the “air nautical miles per gallon” increased. It could go a blooming long way on 3!

It was also not uncommon on some range limited flights to get airborne on 4 engines, climb to the 3 engine cruise altitude and shut one down. Our CAA flight ops inspector had a pink fit when he found out as he was concerned if the engine needed to be relit there was a chance the prop might overspeed. The company chief F/E reckoned that was rubbish, as the 44’s Tyne had so many protection devices on the prop. Result: CAA 1, TMAC O. The process was discontinued.

I do recall though, being in Cairo, sometime around 1976/7, when a 747 (Can’t remember if it was TWA or Pan Am) was flown out on 3 engines. I’m pretty sure it was flown out by a Boeing crew.

Also, a tragic event in Jeddah one night when a Lear jet (35?) attempted a single engine take-off as one starter mother was U/S. The pilot’s intention to windmill start the other engine when airborne. He was also attempting it single pilot, which at least spared the co-pilot and or passengers when it all went wrong.

All a very long time ago and thankfully, I suspect, engine out ferries are a thing of the past!

Cheers,