PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands v Malvinas
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2023, 09:10
Asturias56

Received 373 Likes on 219 Posts
"It matters to those of us who call it home and I believe to a great many that were involved in 1982 and since. I will accept that you probably have no origin of the hotel's name so will gladly correct you. The original owner had a daughter called Malvina "

I did know that and I 've stayed there - Malvina was obviously a popular name and certainly didn't seem to have any anti British connotations.

For the record I don't think that the Argentinean claim is worth anything - it's only based on "nearology". Since the French, the Spanish and the Americans have run the place (or parts of it) way back and they didn't want it, it fell to the UK and there it stands - full stop. I always tell people it's been British longer than Texas has been American which tends to shut them up. If the people of the FI decide, at some far future date, that they wish to change the status quo that's fine by me. What also perplexes me is that the Argentineans (well many of them) can't see that the best way to change people's minds (over a very long time) is by shutting up and trying to work as neighbours rather than as hostile across the board.
The following 2 users liked this post by Asturias56: