PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 121 Flighttime requirements for a foreign airline pilot?
Old 29th Dec 2023, 16:25
Sunrig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pseulight
Hi there!

Hope this isn’t too inappropriate to ask. We’re having a discussion in an EU pilot forum and some of the FAA regs are baffling us. (FAR 135.243, 121.436 among others). Some of us are close to our retirement age (which is under 60) and wouldn’t mind helping out in a possible scenario where US airlines are having trouble finding experienced crew.

If I wanted to apply for a 121 captain’s job in the United States with Southwest Airlines or something similar, would I be eligible under the current FARs (just ignoring anything else, like Greencards or visas)?

Let’s say I’m under 60 and have:
4600 hours in US registered aircraft mostly as PIC, of which 800 FAR 135, and a valid FAA ATPL
12000 hours of B737NG under JAA (EU) regs, of which 10000 as PIC, and a valid JAA ATPL with B737 rating

The FARs were changed around 2013(?) to require SIC time and there all kind of exceptions that are slightly confusing.

If anyone is familiar with this material and feels like sharing their knowledge that would be great.

Thanks all 👋

P.

edit: I only just noticed that there’s a whole thread devoted to roughly this subject here 😬

Sorry, I can’t speak to the 135 hours. But I was in similar situation regarding hours and experience.
You will most certainly have to fly 1000 hours in the right seat to get your required 121 hours.
That shouldn’t be a problem since the good/better companies don’t offer DEC positions anyway. Like it was said before everything is seniority driven. Once you are hired your previous experience doesn’t matter. They will upgrade the 25 year old with 3000 hours total time before you if he’s ahead on the seniority list.
Hope that helps and good luck. I’m enjoying the move.