PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2023, 12:28
UWAS

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
This is just information. It is not an opinion and although I followed the Shoreham disaster in the national press I have not read any official reports. Once I had to interview a man thankfully recovering from being totally buried in a deep trench the side of which had collapsed over him. He was dug down to and then pulled out unconscious after several minutes. It was clear that he was not responsible for his own accident. It was penny pinching by his employers not being prepared to pay for trench support. I met him a little later on and he said he could remember nothing at all of that day's events except that he remembered going to work and waking up in hospital.
Twenty years later I had a car accident three miles from my place of work, rolled the car completely and woke up to see a paramedic standing at my feet while I was lying in the road next to the upside down car. It must have taken at least 10 minutes for the ambulance to arrive, let alone the time taken for a call to be made. In addition I had switched off the engine while upside down, undone the seat belt, dropped to the roof of the car, fracturing my spine, before escaping from the car through the boot as the drivers door was un-openable. I have no memory of the accident until the paramedic was there. Later in hospital I recalled seeing in the driving mirror a car in sunlight arriving at a junction behind me located just before the accident site and thought that was the last memory. I learned it was raining at the time I had my accident by a member of my company staff who went to the scene. My professional life in accident investigation teaches me to be extremely cautious about the evidence that people unconscious at some point during the incident may be be asked about.

Last edited by UWAS; 29th Dec 2023 at 15:22. Reason: missed out word and clarity
The following 2 users liked this post by UWAS: