PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2023, 11:54
GeeRam

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by OvertHawk
I've tried to stay away from this but feel the need to add my thoughts now.

I will preface this with the fact that there seems to be no verified source quoted for the fact that AH is attempting to get his licence back, but assuming that those reports are correct:

AH for whatever reason made a grievous error that killed 11 people and devastated the lives of countless others.

When held to account for it he offered a medical defence that he was cognitively impaired for some undefined medical reason. This defence was accepted by the jury and he was acquitted.

For him now to suggest that he would like his licence and medical to be restored to him despite the fact that he suffers from some undefined condition that leads to sudden cognitive impairment (not to mention the subsequent massive medical trauma of the accident including a significant head injury) strikes me as unreasonable.

I would imagine that it will seem unreasonable to the CAA medical branch as well! (Bearing in mind how difficult they have made the lives of certain of my colleagues who suffer from considerably less worrying conditions than AH reportedly suffers from).

I personally feel that AH has dodged a major bullet here and that if he had any concern for the wellbeing and reputation of our industry, the welfare of the people who continue to live the the consequences of his actions, or indeed a reasonable measure of common decency then he would bow out as gracefully as he can and fade quietly into the background.

Should he attempt to regain his licence I feel he will fully deserve the outcry, anger and further vilification that will certainly follow.
We don't know what type of licence he's trying to get, (if he is - it is the Sun after all) and we are assuming its one that does require a Class 1 or 2 medical....(which surely in the circumstances would be a no-no) but, it maybe he's just seeking to get a NPPL which doesn't need a medical and would restrict him to Part 21 aircraft only....?
Given what happened I'm surprised he'd even want to do that of course...!