PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Max: Loose Rudder-Control Fastener Issue.
Old 29th Dec 2023, 07:48
Thirsty

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts
LOOSE BOLTS:
"The inspections were prompted by an airline finding a bolt with a missing nut while performing routine maintenance.

FAA said it was an international operator that made the discovery.

A nut that was not properly tightened was also found on a second undelivered aircraft."
Could we issue a spare bolt and nut to every air hostess, so they can fit it if they hear a rattle? I'm not kidding as I recall that flight in the '80s downunder on TAA (now defunct) where the rear aisle fluorescent light started to flicker somewhat annoyingly. No problems - the air hostess leaned up, undid the two fasteners on the cover with a fork (metal in those days) and removed the offending tube. Was mighty pleased at that point that she showed some initiative and consideration for the passengers. To my shock and horror, she reappeared soon after, brandishing a new fluorescent tube which she promptly fitted and refastened the two mounting screws on the cover! Never flew TAA again, when cabin staff (trained for the procedure or not) perform rolling maintenance while in-flight!

Boeing says there are 1,370 737 Max aircraft out there that need to be checked. The check takes approximately two hours. Do you get a sticker inside the front door pillar that the check has been made like my car dealer does for car recalls?

Should the entire 737 Max fleet be grounded until the checks are made? Would you fly without a reassurance the bolts were done up correctly on YOUR rudder?