PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows - toxic culture
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2023, 16:38
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadstool
FB

A culture of harassment grows from somewhere. I’m not talking about the people that you’ve mentioned however, in an RAF where this behaviour is absolutely abhorrent and is now unacceptable, it doesn’t suddenly start. It’s been there for a long time but was so part of the culture, that new members, as part of the minority, grew to acccept the culture of the majority and so became part of the problem.

The recent reports of inappropriate behaviour, in addition to change of personnel, should lead to a change in culture and hopefully this will never happen again.

The Red Arrows never stopped being good at what they do; they are excellent, and have had outstanding personnel, mostly. As a recruitment tool however, a culture change which is acknowledged would be a good start if the Red Arrows are believed to be a recruitment asset.
Indeed, but calls by Lucifer, for example, for people to boycott air shows if the Red Arrows are on the billing is quite unnecessary. This is going down the road of running away from Police "men" as some advocated in the light of the Derek Cousens rape/murder of Sarah Everard, its over emotional. As I believe you're suggesting, this needs to be dealt with and assigned to history while hopefully the more Gentlemanly culture, which I thought was largely there in my time, comes to the fore again. Although to give weight to your point there certainly was a rather more familiar carry on between men and women some years ago, and swung both ways, although nothing to get upset about. As best as I can recall.

FB