PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veteran's Cards
Thread: Veteran's Cards
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2023, 17:08
Ninthace

Received 988 Likes on 585 Posts
Originally Posted by Nigerian Expat Outlaw
Following my email the other day for which no acknowledgement was received (I did wonder if it had disapeared into the ether), I received an invitation to apply today. Long winded/thorough, needed to install the GOV.UK ID check app on my phone which validates passport photo page, scans the biometric chip and scans the face (not a photo, some sort of flashing light scan). It's a Beta service.

As I progressed one of the requirements sprung out; in order to qualify a person has to have served ONE DAY. Not sure what lower limit could be arrived at as a criteria for calling someone a Veteran but one day seems derisory. It also says that people resident overseas are not able to apply YET.

Enquiries can be sent to the following (copied from the application): [email protected]

NEO
Are yes, thereby hangs a tale. For every simple idea there are myriad of complications.

“ Let’s award a Jubilee medal, should be a piece of cake with your computer thingy”
”Yessir - everyone?”
”Yes everyone”
”Even those that only joined yesterday​​​​​​?”
”Well, not them of course”
”So we will need to add a qualifying period?”
”Well yes, of course”
”And those that left the service yesterday?”
”Well them too”
”How far back should we go then?”
”Don’t be awkward”
”And what about those who are in but have been naughty boys and girls? Or those that have recently left and were naughty”
“Are you deliberately trying to be difficult?”
”Who sir, me sir, no sir, It’s the computer thingy”

And that is why it is probably one day’s service.

I did not actually have the above conversation, but I had one very like it.