PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2023, 12:23
SotonFlightpath

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Expressflight
From past experience EZY used to open a base with a minimum of three aircraft but I understand that a two-aircraft base can be considered. I'm not sure if they have any such bases at present so I'll let the experts educate me on that point.
Thank you - that is interesting. On that basis, I can understand their reluctance to rush in and establish a base at this point in time, having even two aircraft and allowing for the relatively restricted operating times at the airport, that would still be around around 30 flights a week, possibly a few more with some short sectors. This would be an enormous commitment to begin with, so the way easyJet is playing it at the moment is a far more prudent approach.

I think it's much better to have what some people consider to be a disappointing but sustainable start from which to build, rather than rushing in, only to have to cut-back or withdraw if the business isn't as brisk as hoped-for. Let's be positive, I personally think it's only a matter of time before increased frequencies and further routes are announced which in turn will lead to a small base when a sustainable threshold has been reached. 😊