PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and taxi lights
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2023, 06:54
rodney rude

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
25 ish years ago, I was driving 146s in and out of Brisbane regularly. Every day we were having to power off behind QF aircraft as we kept catching them. I asked a QF buddy - I said "mate, we in the 146 have trouble outrunnin' a Caribou, why are we catching you guys all the time?" His answer - beacuse QF is expanding rapidly right now, lots of low-ish time F/Os now flying and a trend of stuffed up approaches has developed, so QF has limited F/O's to 230kts below 10K." Now before everyone screams bull****, or that I'm smokin some of Heizenberg's finest - that is just what he told me - whether it's true or not, well I'll trust my buddy.

So on one hand - praise to QF for its proactive approach to an issue - BUT - SOPs can't just be in isolation, how did that particular SOP (if real) effect other aircraft and ATC's traffic flow plan? Badly. Just like the wing inspec lights. Someone said earlier about high beam when taxying, file a safety report. Well about 7 years ago I DID file both internal and external reports about QF inspec lights as I was sick of being blinded in YSSY. Clearly those reports achieved sweet FA.

I'm a big believer in solid SOPs - you don't have to like 'em, you just have to follow 'em. That will keep you out of trouble. So QF with the inspec lights - well its SOP. Taxy lights blinding other pilots - let's use common sense and courtesy here and leave the taxy light blinding to China where a welder's mask is standard issue. (go taxy round Chinese airports if you're in a rush to need the Fred Hollows foundation)