PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airways Cymru International
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2023, 18:17
GBYAJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a youngster I was really interested in AIC for some reason despite writing many times asking for some sort of memorabilia they never replied (most airlines did and sent all sorts in the 80’s).

however, in summer 88 they were due to open a base at NCL. Britannia had previously done all of the regional flying for Best Travel which included Grecian & Cypriana but AIC we’re going to take over from NCL.

Nationally BY were reducing their 737 fleet at the time so I remember the Thomson flight brochure showing AIC doing their flying from BRS and CWL as well.

So a few new 737’s were on their way. I assumed 737-300’s but they may have been 200’s.

the local paper, the evening chronicle had an advert for cabin staff and then a few months later the Journal had a front page story about AIC going bust and “jeopardising Geordie holidaymakers plans”.

anyway a Paramount md83 was based instead at NCL that year which was even more exciting than an AIC 737.

Some guy has done a series on You Tube called “grounded” and AIC is the subject of an episode (as is every airline mentioned above!)
The following users liked this post: