PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experimental Flight Testing
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2004, 17:54
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Very worthwhile if I may say so - and in that context I think we are talking about "experimental test flying", rather than necessarily the activities of a TP per-ce, or for that matter an FTE per-ce.

Do include the experiences of Flight Test Engineers in your studies, they may not be quite as exciting from a "tales around the campfire" viewpoint, but potentially as important or sometimes more so from the "lessons to be learned" viewpoint. For example, Dick Stratton who was FTE on the Saunders Roe Princess and the rocket-fighter thingy is very willing to share his flight-test experiences (and I should say his strong views on the CAA, but he may often have a point), but I'm even sure who the pilots were or if they're still around?

Might I suggest that you start with C and D by the way, there are a few WW2 vintage TPs floating around, for example Eric Brown or Neville Duke - and although we know about those who have written about it, there must be others with a lot we can learn and who may not even realise that the FT world is still interested in them.

G

P.S. My experiences?, well apart from the fact that I've never yet got that far South, you'll have to wait - there are a many regulars around here with a lot more worth saying than I have - I'm just loud and opinionated. For example, we are still all waiting with baited chequebooks to buy JF's autobiography when he gets around to writing it. Hint Hint.