PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2023, 00:54
Boulanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Veyron
Hello, I have read a lot of previous posts and have a couple of questions.
1) How Long does it take to go from second officer to FO, as some are saying even 6 to 7 years? I know there is a certain hour requirement but do you become a FO as soon as you reach that requirement or no...

2) What does P2X stand for, I am aware its the hours as a second officer but is that entirely correct?
1) That's hard to say. In the past (prior COVID) SOs would upgrade if they hold the highest seniority spot amongst all other SOs in a unified pool. Nowadays, SOs upgrade depending on fleet, past experience, and other factors. The presence of direct entry first officers have always delayed progression, which is a other factor. There is no "hour requirement" as you say.

2) P2X = Cruise relief co-pilot. If you hold a P2X rating, which is what you will have as an SO, you can only operate the aircraft above 20,000 feet under the supervision of the pilot in command or a delegate. The reason P2X is a problem is that very few carriers outside of CX recognize these hours. Which means that if you are stuck as an SO or find the job not to your liking, it will be very hard if not impossible for you to leave.