PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Legends Canned for 2024
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2023, 23:00
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Tiger Club Breakfast Patrol

Originally Posted by treadigraph
I read about that New Year's Day event in Benjy's book; had I but known and had I been old enough (if '76 I was 12 and probably would been allowed to go) I'd have found my way down there by train and shanks's. Pre-dated my bicycle...

Incidentally I recently saw somewhere that Benjy sadly left us several years ago, a man I think who savoured life. I suspect his books and the third volume by the late Michael Jones encompass but a small percentage of life at the Tiger Club.
This was an event that we 'promoted' under the Redhill Strut (PFA) banner to avoid any issues with the Tiger Club getting into trouble. It was 'very cold' and in fact several of our machines (hand swung) were a bit late getting into position thereby letting a few early 'attackers' slip through (mostly TC members from other AF 's anyway who cheated) the first ac was an RF5 from Biggin which came in before the official start time and did a very low level roll to boot. I had booked the RF4 for the event so did not freeze to death in my Turb. It was a great success and the sight of dozens of machines parked up on that morning was amazing, and other than a call from Gatwick ATC and a few moans from Nutfield village it was issue free, and Radio free !!
Alas those times have gone, but we felt that having enjoyed going to other Airfields BP's we should repay the fun. Even the Army Air Corps at Middle Wallop put one on, so I took the Rollason Beta to that. It was however the Booker events that really could get quite spectacular with mass dog fights of Stampes and other vintage biplanes filing the sky followed by disputes on whether the breakfast was indeed free. Most of the London area fields would partake, and of course also were putting on their own local airshows in those days.
The following 2 users liked this post by POBJOY: