PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight Tropia vs Phoria
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2023, 18:17
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyesight Tropia vs Phoria

I've had a fairly extensive search through the various vision threads and haven't been able to find much in the past decade or so about the above conditions.

From a young age I've had a constant squint and last year I got it looked at professionally, it turns out I have Heterotropia. The deviations of the non-dominant eye are outside of those are allowed for a Class 1 for Phorias (latent squints) but there is absolutely no mention of limitations for Tropias (constant squints). I've seen a thread from many years ago that Phorias are taken much more seriously becuase the latent nature of the squint means that there is no suppression of the non-fixating eye whenever a squint is induced, hence a risk of Diplopia.

I have deep suppression of any overlapping images from the non-dominant eye when using my dominant eye as the fixating eye, my medical records from the Opthalmologists state clearly that I don't experience Dipopia. I've found that I can induce it deliberately by choosing to switch my fixating eye (so that my non-dominant eye becomes the fixating eye) and looking at things from certain angles but that requires a bit of effort and it's possible to switch back to my dominant eye in an instant, after all most people can induce diplopia deliberately by crossing their eyes. I have 20:20 vision in both eyes uncorrected so there's no Amblyopia that I know of.

I've looked at surgery but there is a small risk of Intractible Diplopia, I'm aware that there is now an adjustable suture technique which reduces the risk but if I can get a Class 1 without needing it I think that may well be the better option. Would the CAA be likely to grant a Class 1 with Heterotropia being present and there being deep suppression of any Diplopia-induced images when fixating using the dominant eye?

Last edited by Chris the Robot; 22nd Dec 2023 at 02:35.