PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2023, 12:18
Haneli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordomac
Quick observation is that most of the 100 successful candidates didn't have Daddy as a BA Capt or went to privilaged schools. Those were in a minority.

I have long poked fun at nepotism. Absolutely rife and clearcut all over the place.It has it's place and very annoying for those of us not so favoured. Very little we can do.

Having failed Hamble selection, I poked serious fun, still do at nepotism and connections. Looking back, I think, competitively, others deserved a place more than me.

Dad was a Freemason. Very wealthy. Middle East earner. Cheque book Dad. Ex Army Colonel. With three kids, he decided he was not going to fork out for all three. So, funded none. We were all ex-pat brats, failed the 11 plus and went to Roman Catholic State Secondary Moderns in total but do in part..I asked him for 5K in order to go to OATS for CPL/IR and offered to repay the entire amount out of subsequent salary. He said NO !

I stuck with total focus to the sponsored route. Failed but improved at each set-back. BKS Air Transport advertised forr a top-up course and wanted TWO Cadets. 1000 applied. By then, I was within the age and education requirement. I offered Uk PPL, IMC, R/T, , 200 hours, five years working in Ops as Crewing Walla, Crewing Officer, Loader, Ops DO and six months Nav Course at Cass College.

I got one of the two places.

Fabbo news for the 100. Others, take the punch, get up, take a breath and NEVER stop trying. Some , but not as many as you think, will have been privilaged. Put it out of your mind. Of course it is not fair. What the hell is.. I was going to say Good luck. There is no luck in it and don't plan for such.

When you have fired up all four, tell co-jo to "Set Thrust". feel a punch in the back, level off at 430000ft and a pretty young thang says "Tea Captain ?"......................S M I L E .......................
Hahaha, I've read your post over and again, and still smiling. I wish I was that co-jo, happy days all day long. But then again, it's that super motivation they look for in applicants. Do we have it? You decide...

Last edited by Haneli; 21st Dec 2023 at 23:00.