PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Legends Canned for 2024
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2023, 00:09
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Bring back the Breakfast patrols !!

Originally Posted by Quemerford
What has an anti-det (anti-deterioration for those who don't do smug) run got to do with Flying Legends (something which always has public attendance)? Sounds to me like nothing of the sort. Anyone else got a bizarre reason that's not related? Asparagus-picking in the Malverns maybe?
Sad to relate that we have lost so many 'items' due to both regulations and the insurance issues.
I well remember returning from an early morning foray to Shoreham (having had my free breakfast) in a vintage non warbird type and was on the home run back to base along the border of the Gatwick zone when a certain MK 9 Spitfire 'said hello' and then curved around dropping some flap. The mighty Pobjoy engine was then eased further forward and the extra speed allowed said MK9 to reduce flap and slip into position on my wing. With a couple of miles to go I was able to go to max power and lower the nose so when we passed the control tower (non radio of course) the break went quite well, and the 'anti det' run was deemed ok !!!
It was quite normal in those days to arrive 'unannounced' low level and flat out at the host airfield to find scenes that resembled Hells Angels or the Blue max with Bi planes engaged in spirited duals and miget racers zipping in from all angles. There was no problem with radio calls as there were none, but I do recall when we hosted a 'frosty' new year event at Redhill over 100 machines turned up and we only gave away a dozen meals. This event was notable with a call from Gatwick complaining that a Heron had been 'intercepted' by an 'inverted' Zlin, the pilot of which had said we could not afford so many free meals in one machine. !!!

Last edited by POBJOY; 22nd Dec 2023 at 21:03.
The following users liked this post: