PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2023, 21:02
Haneli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo2023
In the interest of balance I feel the need to reply regarding queries over the impartiality of the process.

I consider myself incredibly privileged and honoured to have been accepted onto the programme and while I cannot comment on other candidates I can provide some insight to my own background to hopefully alleviate some of these concerns.
I'm 36 years old, I have a professional degree and have had a successful career in my current industry for the last 13 years, an industry unrelated to aviation I might add but one from which a lot of transferable skills exist. I have no family or friend contacts within British Airways, or any other airline or sector of aviation for that matter.

A career as an airline pilot has been a lifelong held ambition for me that simply had never been an option to date, the financial barrier was just too great. At the end of last year when the TUI programme was announced I thought all my Christmas’ had come at once. I considered my chances relatively small due to the sheer volume of competition but it was an opportunity not to be missed.
I applied and made it through to the penultimate stage. While this was disappointing at the time, the entire process and experience only served to ignite my enthusiasm and determination even further. I took on board their feedback, sought out advice from friends of friends who work in the industry, and reaffirmed that this was what I really wanted to pursue.

Fast forward 7-months and I’m now sitting with a place on the Speedbird Pilot Academy and with a conditional offer for a role with British Airways. (I still can’t believe his as I type).

This is by no means intended as a post to gloat or celebrate my success. I know how disappointed I was with TUI, and would be again this time around had I not been successful.

I simply want to highlight that while n=1 is certainly not sufficient evidence to silence the critics, there are candidates who are succeeding without these ‘magic contacts’. I would hate for someone to read these posts and feel they shouldn’t bother applying in future.
​​​​​​
Velo2023, many thanks for your post with great oversight. I would like to congratulate you on gaining a place on this wonderful opportunity. British Airways is a great place to be especially now with a lot going on and new aircrafts coming in.
I can only echo what Wiggy and yourself have stated that it doesn't matter much who or what you know or do here with regards to training as the process is automated. I know this because I work at BA, put an application in, went through the hoops, but unfortunately came short.
But then I know it's thoroughly an open and fair process, and will do it again.
And so, I'll DM you Velo2023 for advice and guidance.
Well done and all the best.