PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2023, 17:13
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RW20
Easy Jet operations UK from SOU could stop as quickly as it has started.
There's plenty of people who moan that you can't rely on Ryanair either and that they keep abandoning airports or seeking ever cheaper airport fees - there's an endless llist of people who consider them as commercial sharks...
Same is often said of Wizzair - see the Cardiff and Doncaster threads if you want evidence of this
If you look at the East Midlands, Newcastle and Southend threads, you'll find people willing to moan about Easyjet short-termism
Maybe you would llike to look at British Airways - but the people in Birmingham and Manchester seem aggrieved and refer to BA as London Airways because they abandoned their substantial route networks at BHX and MAN.

However, when you look at the combination of Easyjet, Ryanair and Wizzair... you end up with a huge number of flights and a huge number of people flying all over Europe.

Who do you think are the big players who are going to bring large numbers of pax to SOU ? ATR42 and E145 aircraft just aren't big enough as aircraft to get SOU to 1m pax per year. Lufthansa have just suspended Bristol and Liverpool - I can't see them coming to SOU in a big way any time soon.
Sometimes it's better to accept a "good enough" solution that exists, rather than seeking a perfect solution which may not exist.

Easyjet has its critics - and I've had times when I've cursed them... but in comparison to many other airlines, they are definitely on the "reputable and respectable" list.

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 20th Dec 2023 at 18:09.