PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2023, 12:52
Alanga1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VariablePitchP
I’d be staggered if nepotism had anything to do with it. Unless there is a question saying ‘do you have a BA training captain as a parent’ how could it help? Everyone applied through a part automated and part humanised application tracking system. Computer’s don’t discriminate based on surnames or school ties.

The interviews and assessment will have been against set criteria, BA is way too big to get a cheeky CV in through the back door.

Would the kids have benefited from their parent working for BA just by the nature of that? How would they not, you can’t expect them to forget everything they’ve picked up about BA via osmosis over the last 20 years just for the application. Have you considered perhaps that they may also have just been very strong candidates?

The cost barrier is removed, that doesn’t mean it’s means-tested, that would in and of itself be discriminatory.

I’d focus less on what others around you are doing and more on what you can to make yourself the best candidate you possibly can be for next time round. Your current attitude may be what caused your application to fail this time round.

Celebrate it for what it is, a fantastic scheme, one that hopefully gets copycat schemes from other airlines.
I think it’s slightly naive to think that nepotism wouldn’t play a part in some regard. TUI allocated 3 or so spots for Wings for Warriors. So those guys would have gone in through the back door. It isn’t unusual for people in an org to push their own people(employees, colleagues, family/friends) for these sorts of posts. I’d like to believe it was completely fair. But I’ll be naive to think BA didn’t have 2 or 3 people who got an extra push because they know someone. It happens everywhere. It’s not great when it’s against you, but I’ve benefited from it in life sometimes and it evens out. I blame my dad for not being born into a rich family! Lol