PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Professional advice
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2023, 01:26
Ptichka

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ovc000
Maybe Pitchka misread/understood it a bit.
In the UK (don't know how it is in Canada) but in the UK when a private owner reaches 500hrs, the insurance will decrease significantly.
Not sure if this is also for commercial operations but 100% sure that for a private owner, the insurance becomes less painful after 500hrs.
Does this make the pilot an expert at 500hrs.......I think you would need an extra 0 to get to expert level.
I think that this is the root cause of the misunderstanding. The Kangaroo Court is quick to pounce though! I suspect there are few aircraft owners here, hence the lack of knowledge of such nuances. I can not find a page on TC website that I recall reading. However, I distinctly remember the content stating that after 500 hours a pilot would be able to operate in limited VFR with shorter clear distance of sight than that associated with typical VFR conditions. The "expert pilot" term was used by the insurance broker.

Originally Posted by Nubian
Tough crowd!

The amount of advice….

The company linked to up near the start of the thread, HBC, has been in operation since 2016, has a Canadian (though Japanese speaking) owner, flying a straight B model 350 from the 1980’s!! Now suddenly, this OP’s wish to do the same in a new 407 is absolutely impossible?!?

500 hrs is not a whole lot of flying, BUT if you plan on flying your own machine getting training (presumably by some of you perhaps?!?) for several hundred hours in the operating environment, I hazard a guess that the 500hr pilot will be more suitable than a 3000hr CFI/Grand Canyon tourjockey or a utility pilot that has 5000hrs firefighting or bird towing.
Hours is only hours. Experience is something else.
Thank you for your positivity, Nubian!

Either way, following another piece of good advice I'll simply do my training in Japan. Looks like Airbus has a spectacular training facility in Kobe. This will allow me to greatly improve my skill in the Japanese language and build local industry connections. Buying a machine once work is secured makes a lot of sense. This simply means that I will postpone hobby flying for a few years. Oh well, I'll get a six pack of Porsches to keep me busy for the time being!

Thank you to all involved. Close the thread please.