PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of Class One Medical - Seizure
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2023, 17:30
PT92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Memphis Hubert
I wonder why no one provided PT92 with the relevant links to the CAA, containing all necessary information:

2 points to consider: 1 seizure does not (yet) constitute "Epilepsy". So after the one seizure the causation has to be investigated. If the "third party factor" can be identified and this "causation" can be avoided in the future with the effect, that without that the risk of another seizure is the same as of any normal person, there is no reason to reject the class 1 medical.
For example of what is an avoidable causation and what not: Drugs § Alcohol are avoidable, while hyperventilation and strobe lights (like used in EEGs with provocation) are not avoidable, because they're part of daily life.

EASAs AMC1 MED.B.065 Neurology (which CAA's regulations are based on) says following:
"In the case of an acute symptomatic seizure, which is considered to have a very low risk of recurrence, a fit assessment may be considered after neurological evaluation"

"acute symtomatic seizure" is to be used instead of the older "provoked seizure", and means there has been, what PT92 calls a "third party factor".

These arguments should be used at the CAA.

The FAA requests 1 year "recovery" after one seizure, even if provoked. Check the document Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners - SEIZURE . It says everything which is usefull and necessary.
Hi Memphis Hubert,

Thank you for this, most appreciated. I also have seen the EASA regulations regarding the neurologist and agree with you about the 'Acute Symptomatic Seizure' bit, and would agree with you. I just don't understand why the CAA have not asked me to come and see their Neurologist... The seizure was provoked and by a 'Third Party Factor', so what do I do now? Apologies, but I am a little lost sometimes with this..