PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Professional advice
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2023, 16:00
Ptichka

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to respond! All valid points have been taken into consideration. I'll provide some additional clarification below and greatly welcome further feedback.

1. The Japanese society/business ecosystem: I realize I will always stand out from the general populace, which I'm content with. I plan to fully amalgamate with Japanese society through an in-depth study of the language and culture. I'm committing to a permanent relocation rather than a temporary visit. I earnestly desire to build long-term community relationships and participate fully in daily activities. Frankly, I think there will be a way where there is a will.

I know some of the particulars of Japanese business practices, as I have long been interested in the subject. I'm glad to retain the services of a reputable bilingual legal firm to facilitate the necessary bureaucratic procedures while I familiarize myself with all the nuances. I'm well aware of the work associated with a successful start-up business, as the funds at my disposal are the product of my merits. The budget of USD 4.5M I indicated pertained to the purchase of the machine only; the rest of the considerations for a functional business infrastructure have already been addressed. I'm perfectly content hiring a local chief pilot from whom I could continue learning.

2. Training: I have been fascinated with aviation since I was a young boy; I spent the last decade thoroughly researching the subject as I worked towards securing the financial means required to pursue my dream. There is a helicopter in my future regardless of this business idea; however, instead of being a hobby pilot and doing something else for a living, I think that it is reasonable to use the helicopter to generate a sufficient revenue stream through relatively light-duty applications while enjoying the machine for leisure when seeing fit to do so. I do not want to make all the money in the world; therefore, I do not need to push myself past the limits of my abilities. I do not wish to grow my business into an industry giant but enjoy the work-life balance available to an owner/operator. It's like a tractor/trailer owner but in a different equipment category. One could take their B-train fishing, but it wouldn't be as elegant as arriving by air, and it would significantly limit the choice of fishing location.

I have over 15,000 hours operating a dangerous piece of heavy equipment in high-risk environments involving proximity to powerlines, explosive atmospheres, and highly congested areas with numerous personnel present. I'm a consistent, pedantic individual who thrives on structure, procedures and checklists. I've passed an on-site Occupational Health and Safety inspection with a commendation from the inspecting officer and haven't had a single safety infraction in a decade of service. I'm as much of a safety squirrel as one can be, and I find the highly organized and regulated world of aviation irresistible due to its well-structured nature. I will not only jump through all the hoops but will do so gracefully and with a smile.

I'm well aware of my limitations as a low-hour pilot. I do not intend to provide the clients with an exhilarating experience through aerobatic maneuvers but rather by delivering safe, luxurious transportation to a unique and fun event. They can get their adrenaline descending avalanche-prone slopes, not through my machine. I'm confident that few of you will dare contest the fact that experience is conducive to developing complacency. My minimal knowledge of helicopters shows that pilot error tends to cause most incidents, and it is not the domain of novices exclusively. I have reviewed several dozen incident reports, many about heli-skiing, and have a basic understanding of issues that may arise during the specific operation type, including white-out conditions, rollovers, and good-ol' cyclic pushovers for the sheer thrill of it. My "Sky Ace" remark was facetious. It was aimed at the fact that the 500-hour milestone designates one as an "expert pilot" by Transport Canada and the insurance underwriters, resulting in a significant decrease in insurance premiums and the ability to operate in limited VFR. Additionally, my conversations with local operators indicate that many clients specify 500 hours as the minimum experience for the pilot, information that may not necessarily apply to Japan. Still, it does provide me with a training benchmark.

One of the reasons for choosing Top Flight is their expertise in mountain operations. Hopefully, I can be taught with some of that knowledge. I was entertaining the idea of longlining to diversify the offered services. Still, as a low-hour pilot, I think it makes most sense to pick one specific direction within the industry and attempt to master it. I would be open to committing to 500 hours of instructed PIC operation to provide me with operation-specific training. It is a significant investment, but it appears judicious, considering that I plan to fly the machine I pay for and would like to return home safely. I'm not hung up on IFR as I have zero intentions of flying into IMC; I regard the training as an aid to successfully exit IIMC if I find myself in such a situation. This brings me back to the point that I do not plan to risk my life and will not hesitate to say no to clients if my assessment of the flight conditions is unfavourable. I intend to ameliorate the gaps in my knowledge through modern technology - FADEC and sophisticated autopilot and avionics. However, I regard these devices as aids facilitating a decreased pilot workload instead of technological enhancements to my skills. I will not increase my risk tolerance simply because I have an intelligent helicopter. Still, I will gladly beseech the flight director to save me if a dangerous situation arises.

3. Aircraft type: I'm adamant about purchasing a new machine for the benefit of a factory warranty and the manufacturer's operation/maintenance training programs.

As I was mistaken, I corrected my statement regarding the 407's seating capacity in the original post; it still provides one extra-paying seat per trip over the H125. Another reason I like the 407 is the exceptional visibility achieved with the high visibility kit. I consider that for the view of the clients, as half the year the machine will work in sightseeing. It is also faster than the H125 but is longer - potentially complicating off-airport landings.

I won't lie; the Squirrel is a highly attractive machine. It is more powerful, slightly less expensive to operate and offers the flexibility of the sliding door, making the aircraft suitable for air photography applications. The high visibility kits available for the model should provide a good view for the passengers seated in the center seats.

What machine would be more comfortable for the passengers? My understanding is that the 407's rotor head design significantly minimizes vibrations.

The first step I'm planning in this entire process is a month-long recognizance mission to Hokkaido involving a host of consultations with barristers and industry members to fully validate the business proposition, which I think is viable. It would be too banal to settle for a carwash and a used EC120B.

Sorry for the loquacious monologue! Any additional thoughts are welcome, even from the surliest members indicating their anticipation of seeing my name in the obituaries...

- Paul
The following users liked this post: