PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eject! Eject! - John Nichol
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2023, 10:30
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tashengurt
Just stumbled across this thread after a long absence from here.
I must say I was disappointed that this book gives the impression that seats are installed and then left until needed.
No mention at all of the Squippers or Armourers that regularly and painstakingly service them.
Good morning Tash. Nice to see you on here rather than Twitter.

Whilst you are correct to allude to the fact that the book concentrates on the experiences of those who actually eject - this is a necessity of writing what an author hopes will become a bestseller - I think you are being a tad unfair to say that there is "no mention at all" of others involved (or you haven't read the book?).
Here's just a few examples:

Firstly. And most importantly, the book is actually dedicated to all involved:
"This book is dedicated to all those involved in the design, manufacture and maintenance of the ejection seats which have given so many grateful aviators – and their families – another chance at life."

The Foreword (the very first thing people read) is written about the manufacture and servicing of seats:
"Needless to say, all aircrew regard Tony and his fellow armourers with huge respect. And gratitude."
"Taj has done the same job at Martin-Baker for thirty-five years. ‘I have packed many thousands of parachutes,’ he says proudly. ‘I carry out my work as perfectly as I can, every single time. What you aircrew do up there is always'."

And I clearly don't give "the impression that seats are installed and then left until needed":
"The seats can remain in a jet for years, exposed to rain, sun, snow and ice. They are trodden on with muddy boots as the occupant scrambles aboard and thrown around the skies at high speed and high-g. While they are regularly checked in situ, depending on the version they might only be removed from the aircraft for fuller servicing every two years." (This aspect was checked with Martin Baker and a former senior Armourer).

These are just the references I remember from writing it 18 months ago. And needless to say, there are countless accounts of aircrew and their families expressing undying gratitude to those involved with their ejection seat. Though I accept of course, I do not name every individual trade involved.

Anyhoo, sorry that you were disappointed with the book. As I have said many, many times - I owe my own life to the ejection seat and those who designed, built, maintained it. My gratitude is endless.
best wishes to you and yours,
John
The following 5 users liked this post by John Nichol: