PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Static Charge?
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2023, 03:31
roscoe1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many moons ago I worked for a company that did lift work in the San Francisco Bay area with a couple of S58Ts. I got to climb up the suspension cable on the Oakland Bay bridge to lift some steel and painting supplies to the top of one of the towers, about 600 feet off the water. It was awesome fun. At the finish of the job I was not looking forward to the walk down, looking at the water and bridge deck the whole way, so the pilot asked if I wanted to be picked up on top of the tower. I happily said yes. There was a platform just big enough to set a wheel down and give me 6 or 8 feet to approach the ship and hop into the cargo door. No guard rail anywhere at all the very top. You guessed it, I grabbed the door handle and was knocked to my knees by the visible mini bolt of lightning, I hit the step outside the door, . I even knew better, it wasn't my first rodeo. Without a ground strap my normal modus was to slap the hook hard enough to hurt so I didn't notice the shock so much. Young and dumb.