PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 pitch attitude on final
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2004, 07:14
tames oud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think nowadays it is really up to the individual pilot to take the initiative to fly raw data once in a while. It is so easy to go the easy way and chase the flight director needles. Flying instruments is something you will have to keep doing to stay good at it. Which is why I started to fly raw data more often again whenever the opportunity is there. And when I started practicing again, guess what, I sucked.... And only after going back to the roots and setting pitch and power it all immediately came back again.

Another reason I was looking into this stuff, was that I wanted to figure out how much of a pitch increase I should expect to need when loosing an engine on final (raw data). In the simulator I would always loose at least one dot on the glideslope after selecting flaps 15 and increasing to the white bug. After looking at the figures I guess a good ballpark figure is 2 degrees more nose up from your last attitude. So next time when I practice this at least I will have something to shoot for instead of waiting until the glidepath is out the window.

.85, if I was coming on a little strong, sorry about that. I've been flying a lot of different airplanes, and for me pitch and power is the only way to go. Sure you fine tune constantly to stay on the approach but it all starts with setting known figures and wait for the outcome.

cheers,

Tames

Last edited by tames oud; 24th Jan 2004 at 07:31.