PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TNFlygirl crash analysis
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2023, 18:38
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JanetFlight
Besides the fact there are some mistakes and things that could have been improved, IMHO i do not agree some comments on this YT link advocating 400 hours are quite few.
Back in the middle 90's, half of my CPL class here on EU vast lands started doing TGL's circuits on the L-1011 on the right hand seat right after finishing it with some 170 hours TT.
All of us succeeded till this very day, except me due disease needed to remain on the ground since 2012 unfortunately.
May she rest in Peace <3
Agreed. 400 hours is plenty, provided they are quality hours. If you have a good grasp of basic flying principles then learning an autopilot is really just about understanding how the machine will try to do what you would be doing if hand flying and what its limitations are. If you have a solid foundation then you will be mentally flying the plane while manipulating the autopilot. On the other hand if you don’t have the basics down then turning the autopilot on becomes akin to handing control over to someone else and letting yourself become a passenger who doesn’t understand what’s going on and doesn’t know when or how to intervene.