PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2023, 18:11
Potatos_69

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123
Agree pay at Euroflyer is below par in both seats.

Are you sure you checked the spreadsheet on years 2-10 LHS SH correctly? Add the TAFB disregarding the pension.

As a year 1 FO I have been pulling in no less than £4.8k after tax paying 6% pension. I might pick up a trip or 2 at NCP if a trip takes my fancy but don’t go nuts. Yes JSS is a learning curve. I bid the same every month and sometimes it’s given me the opposite of what I bid for. However I always manage to move things around in IOT/EOT plus swapping to get back to what I wanted.
Yes you will get command at the airlines you mention quicker if you want but don’t forget the numbers as an FO.
Ok agree low seniority LHS doesn’t seem the best in terms of bidding and yes LHR can be painful. Compared to the airlines you mention I found SH to be much better on my body clock compared to previous. Night curfew is a god send really. Landing at 2/3/4am after a 10-12 hour day is bloody tough on you on days 3/4/5 etc.
Regarding the pay, yes I have checked. PP11 with average hours and Tafb etc this year will get pay approx 150.5k. PP1 will pay 120k PP5 will pay 132k. I’m not taking into account any overtime as it skews things all over the place and it’s not guaranteed (except here atm since the begging texts go out every day almost!&#128517

10 years in wizz as a captain and you’re on close to 200k (company still terrible to work for but that’s the money you can expect)
So yes, for the first 10-11 years you’ll be the cheapest a320 captain in the country by quite a lot.

Regarding our FO salaries, they are great if you want to be a career FO and enjoy LH life. But money wise, it would take you being a PP20 LHFO or a PP26 SHFO to match the money you’d make as a year 1 captain at J2, EZY, WUK. Of course money isn’t everything, but it is a benchmark.

If long haul is the goal then yes of course, BA is the best bet in the country. Not everyone wants or will be able to get it though, so people who are in a position of being ready for an upgrade in the next year have a bit more to think about finance wise if they’re looking at SH long term.

Lifestyle wise it’s still better than a ULC, but I have mates in J2 working 4 flights a month in winter and still getting about what we get paid as SH FO’s. Fundamentally, it’s all swings and roundabouts, for anyone younger than 30 BA is the best place to be, for anyone over their mid 30’s a good look at where you are and what you want to do career wise is important not just blindly rushing in to something that can leave them financially worse off due to less or no time at the top pay scales.