PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2023, 00:04
DavidSmithHeli

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello to all, I’m new to posting in the forum here, but would like to introduce myself. I chose this subtopic for reasons that will be more obvious as you read my introduction.

My name is David Smith and I was the original chief engineer for the Bell 505 program and joined Robinson Helicopters about 9 months ago. I feel I am in a reasonable position (although admittedly biased) to comment on the challenges of certifying and manufacturing Part 27 rotorcraft. I am appreciative of the work Hill Helicopters is doing to change the industry narratives around 1) making aviation fun/cool/engaging and 2)vertical integration of manufacturing to control costs and quality. Indeed these two reasons are a large part of why I made the jump to RHC earlier this year! I applaud Dr Hill for his work and wish him safe progress on the development. Product unveilings are amazing and fun, but they pale in comparison to first flights and first engine starts, so I know their team is focused on the next milestones.

I also want to make myself available to anyone on the forum who might be interested in learning more about the challenges of certification or cost management in aerospace. Some of the opinions expressed above regarding spare part costs and lack innovation in the industry are passions of mine and I would love to chat with anyone here. Robinson Helicopters over the next decade will improve and innovate in a whole host of news ways. Please stay tuned and reach out if you want to connect.

Sincerely,

David Smith
Robinson Helicopter Company
The following 6 users liked this post by DavidSmithHeli: